Architectural and spiritual heritage of Russian Orthodoxy
Chronicles: the People, places, events, testimonies
More temples and monasteries Russia
Unusual Church of Russia
How Russian Orthodoxy animated Western Gothic
The collapse of the Western Roman Empire in the late fifth century ushered in the era of the middle Ages, the most vivid architectural expression of which was Gothic. Replacing the Romanesque, the Gothic style was intended to suppress the rights of its gloomy grandeur, to emphasize its insignificance.
The Church of St. Catherine in the ascension monastery of the Moscow Kremlin / Engraving Kuryatnikova the 1st half of the XIX century.
Any art of those times is directly connected with religion, therefore let and is awesome, but the oppressive architecture of Western Europe has not found its continuation in Orthodox lands. Individual churches and cathedrals in the Gothic style built in Russia much later, and they are not a reflection of the Western lifestyle, but rather, the result of the eccentricity of their customers. But even here the Orthodox culture can change the perception of pole. The Orthodox churches seem to be more elegant, bright, they don’t press, don’t belittle the man and calls him to something sublime and spiritual. In fact, the style was given a different name — “Russian Gothic”.
2. The Church of St. Nicholas in Tsarevo
The first written mention of the Church in the village Ievleva belong to 1624. The current temple was laid on the funds of owners of the village Tarasovyh in 1812 and built for triplet. Presumably, the author of the project was the student of Vasily Bazhenov, Ivan Egotov.
The dome is crowned is not typical for Russian architecture of the faceted stands with spire and pinnacles, and the facade is divided into elongated columns and belted high relief frieze with biblical scenes.
3. The Church of the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God in Bykovo
The Church was built in 1789 on the estate of Mikhail Izmailov. No one knows who the author of the project, but based on stylistic characteristics, considered by the architect Vasily Bazhenov.
The appearance and decoration of the temple combines both Gothic and Baroque features, which gives it a charming originality. Standing next to the bell tower, made in the same style, appeared much later, in 1830.
In the 1930s the Church was closed. Returned to the believers in 1989.
4. St. Alexander Nevsky Church in Peterhof
Inactive Orthodox Church, also known as Capella, is part of the architectural ensemble of the Park “Alexandria”.
The architecture of the Church is closest to the Gothic style. Founded as a house Church by order of Emperor Nicholas I in 1831, it was solemnly consecrated in 1834.
The author of the project was the German architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel, the building was designed by the architect Adam Menelas, and after his death Joseph Charlemagne.
5. The Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist (Chesme) in St. Petersburg
The current Orthodox Church built to commemorate the victory of the Russian over the Turkish fleet in the Chesma Bay of the Aegean sea in 1770.
The laying of the temple took place in 1777 by the architect Yuri Felten. Feature of the project is coloring the Church, as a rule, not typical of the Gothic.
The place for the building of the temple according to the legend, was chosen by Empress Catherine II: allegedly it was here that she received word about the battle of Chesma. The solemn consecration of the Church took place in 1780. Soon after the consecration he was transferred to the Chapter of the order of St. George.
The Church was closed in 1919, transferred to the St. Petersburg diocese in perpetuity in 1994.
6. Epiphany Old Golutvin monastery in Kolomna
A functioning monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church, the first rector of which is considered a disciple of Saint Sergius of Radonezh Gregory of Golutvin. Now the monastery complex is a mixture of several architectural styles. An unusual element is the tower of the convent wall. The story of their creation is unique.
In 1775 Empress Catherine the great visited Kolomna and visited the monastery. Admiring the hospitality of the locals, she was dissatisfied with the architecture of the old town. After returning to the capital, Catherine was sent to Kolomna court architect Matvei Kazakov, who built in the city several office buildings, and for the monastery — six towers and the fence. So in the end of XVIII century an Orthodox monastery appeared not peculiar to him of the architectural elements.
The monastery was closed in 1929. Transferred to the diocese of Moscow in 1994.
7. The Church of the Holy Trinity in the village of Gus-Iron
One of the late temples, created in the style of Russian Gothic style with Baroque elements, and one example of the unfinished.
The construction of the Church on the money of Industrialists brothers Batashevs began in 1802 on the site of the burnt wooden Church. To the stage of the dome only came in 1825, in connection with the death of the customer, the work stopped and was resumed in 1847, and the main altar was consecrated only in 1868.
The author of the project is unknown, local historians believe that the architect could be Bazhenov Vasily Kasimov or the architect Ivan Gagin. In addition to the unusual architecture, the temple has another feature — a material. The building was constructed not of brick, most commonly used at the time, and of white stone, like ancient temples.
In 1932 it was closed. Today in the temple worship again traversed.
8. Novo-Nikolsky Cathedral in Mozhaisk Kremlin
The Cathedral stood on the site of Nicholas gate of the Mozhaisk Kremlin and partially incorporated in a wall. The construction of the Cathedral began in 1779 and ended in 1812. The construction is a rare combination of Russian Gothic, written in the manner of classical Russian tented Church. The architect of the temple became a pupil of Matvei Kazakov Alexey Bakharev.
In 1933 the Cathedral was closed. Since 1994, it resumed service.
The Church of St. Catherine in the ascension monastery of the Moscow Kremlin. Construction began in 1808 with the participation and under the project of Carlo Rossi. The construction was completed in 1817 by the architect Alexey Bokarevym.
Sophisticated silhouette of the Church with lots of towers and exquisite decorations of the walls gave the building a kind of lightness. Thus, the dimensions of the temple were comparable to the ascension Cathedral.
The temple was destroyed in 1929.
Orthodox sights of Russia
Places of spiritual power of the Russian state and the Russian people
Despite momentary difficulties, Russia remains a great country. Let this greatness is questioned with the adopted “Western civilization” Mercantile point of view, but if we assume a traditional, spiritual beliefs, competitors of the Russian people very much. And this spirituality we owe to Orthodoxy, which has its bearings in this world: fourth inheritance of the virgin, the largest monastery in Europe, the relics of the miracle workers… “Russian planet” has collected seven Orthodox attractions of Russia that everyone should see.
Holy Trinity St. Sergius Lavra: the Dmitry Donskoy received a blessing at the battle of Kulikovo.
Kirillo-Belozersky monastery — the largest monastery in Europe.
Diveevo. Shrine of St. Seraphim Diveevo convent — relics of the monk Seraphim of Sarov, monastery called the fourth inheritance of the virgin Mary, and believe that the monastery is under its special protection.
Solovetsky monastery, located on Islands in the White sea.
The monastery of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in the town of Verkhoturye Sverdlovsk region.
Svyato-Vvedensky monastery of Optina Pustyn is one of the oldest Orthodox male monasteries in Russia. The monastery has given the world renowned Holy elders.
Balaam. There is a version that Andrew visited the island of Balaam, and put a cross on the site of the future monastery.